Translate

Monday, November 8, 2021

Opera Brundibar (Praha, CZ)

This summer when we were in Cyprus I came across a book that was in one of the places we stayed.  The book was called A Century of Wisdom: Lessons from the Life of Alice Herz-Sommer.  The book was written very well and taught me a lot of things I didn't know about the Holocaust.  It mentioned an opera, Brundibar, that was made by the people that were there.  They had to make the music with the instruments they had in Terezin. It was an opera made for children and performed by children.  It was a very interesting book.  I let me mother borrow it and then she let her friends borrow the book as well.  One day while I was searching for operas being performed in Praha, I came across Brundibar.  I knew I had to see it.  All the seats were the same price, so I got us box seats.  Before the performance a lady came out to talk about the history of the opera.  Then she announced that there were 2 survivors from Terezin in the audience.  I didn't expect that and it was a bit emotional.  One of the survivors spoke to us and told us about her experience.  She was only 6 years old when she was in Terezin.  After she was done with her speech, the opera began.  This was the first opera that I went to that was performed by kids and didn't have any English subtitles.  I was able to catch some of the dialogue, but Leos had to fill me in at the end of the performance with everything that went on.  It was a nice opera and I am lucky to have been able to watch it and also hear the survivor's speech. 


                                                                        view from our seats
                                                                            nice chandelier
                                                            the survivor was in purple
                                                                        during the show
                                                                        job well done
                                                                            great job    
                                                              nice late morning in the opera

No comments:

Post a Comment