Translate

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Makro Gastro Fest

I had seen advertisements for the Gastro Festival, but I wasn't really sure what to expect.  The entrance was 400czk and it was at the O2 Arena.  I had never been to the arena, so I thought it would be nice to check it out.  The event was so much better than I expected. The event was for 3 days and the only day we could go was on Saturday.  We went in the morning, and it was perfect to go early.  As soon as we entered we saw stands with "free" samples (like I mentioned we had to pay an entrance fee). The first sample we had was an oyster.  Next we went to a fish stand and then a cheese stand.  It was crazy how many stands had samples.  In the end I didn't have to pay for anything extra because I even got Birell for free.  Leos had to pay for beer, but that was the only thing he paid for the whole day.  We were there from around 10:30am until 7pm.  It was a long day, but there were so many things to check out.  I was lucky enough to meet Zdenek Pohlreich.  He is like the Gordon Ramsey of Czech Republic.  I even had him wear my glasses.  I am happy that Leos pushed me to ask him to wear my glasses, because I lost 2 opportunities to have famous people wear my glasses because I hesitated. Later in the day we got to watch a food competition being judged by top chefs in the Czech Republic. The competition didn't feel like a cooking competition, but a sports event.  The atmosphere was crazy and so cool to be a part of.  We all did the wave around the arena and there were people cheering on their favorite team with instruments. It was such a unique experience.  I am so happy that Leos and I attended.  Next year there will be the European competition, so the winner of this year will compete in that.  In two years, the Gastro Festival will happen again in the Czech Republic and I am looking forward to that. 

                                                                        O2 arena
                                                                entering the event
                                                   we got to choose which oyster we wanted
                                                                    first sample of the day
                                                                        fish stand
                                                               samples of cheese and pasta
                                                                    samples of meat
                                                              Pohlreich being interviewed
                                                        watched a cooking class for a moment
                                                                  Czech Republic     10,324
                                                            had to take a picture with him too
                                                   beginning of the very long cooking show
   many hours left
                                                             free samples at the bbq area too
                                                                  Pohlreich speaking again
                                                               I played giant Jenga and won
                                                                    dessert cooking show 
                                            free portions she gave out to people in the crowd
                                       I made my own with the ingredients that were left over
                                                        showing how to cut fish properly
                                                                our samples from the bbq
                                                                 price of my drink=0czk


                                                               plate the judges were tasting

so many people taking pictures of the dish
                                                                not even looking at the food


the chefs were high fiving each other
                                                                    winning culinary school
                                                                         another free drink



3rd  place
                                                                            2nd place


                                                             the winner of the competition
                                                           building I saw on the way home
                                                            all the goodies I brought home

No comments:

Post a Comment