Translate

Monday, August 20, 2018

3 Crosses, Uzupis, and Poker (Vilnius, Lithuania)

The weather didn't look the best for the day, but my friend and I still went on a hike to the 3 crosses.  The view from there was great.  We got to see the whole city.  Then we walked through the artist area of Vilnius.  Uzupis is an independent area from Vilnius.  They have their own constitution and you can get your passport stamped if you want, which I did.  The art around Uzupis was really cool.  Then I wanted to see the beautiful gold Mary in a small chapel near an arc.  I went to the chapel and it was really beautiful. There were lots of people sitting in the chapel and I was wondering what was going on.  Nothing seemed to be going on so I walked in and took my pictures.  When I was in one corner of the chapel, two priests walked in and they started a service.  Since the chapel was so small, I couldn't leave without bringing a lot of attention to myself. I decided to stay. The service lasted a lot longer than I was expecting.  The service was in Polish and I was able to understand a little bit because Czech is a bit similar to Polish.  I did everything the people were doing.  When they bowed, I bowed.  When they closed their eyes, I did so too.  I thought that it wouldn't be a long service.  I was wrong.  It lasted 45 minutes.  I have never attended a full service in my life, but now I have.  Right after I left, it started to rain.......  Oh well.  Then later in the evening I played Texas Hold'em in the hostel.  I won one game and then got second place in the next game.  It was fun, but lasted WAYYYY too long! (Especially because there wasn't any money involved!!)

3 Crosses
view of the city
castle
church
gotta get a pic of the view
again the 3 Crosses
another pic of the city
original area of the 3 Crosses before it was moved to the current spot
so many steps!
smile!
backpacker Jesus
signs of all the other independent areas
got my passport stamped
UZ!
streets in Uzupis
lots of detail!
nice place for a swing, but because of the rain the river was higher than usual
swing of destiny
mermaid like in copenhagen
Angel of UZ
close up
cute cat
the mirror plaques are the constitution of UZ in different languages
Golden Mary
oh no, service started
view from the chapel
almost finished!
Dominican Republic
India
Croatia 9030
India
Argentina
China
USA
Australia 9035
Lithuania

No comments:

Post a Comment