Translate

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Monkeys and Lobster!!

It was our last day in Sanyang, so Leos and I wanted to go back to the secluded beach we found.  This time we decided not to walk along the dodgy coastline but walk a bit through the paths.  There were some locals walking from the beach to the path, so we decided to follow them.  Once we got to the path, we were able to get to the beach quite easily.  After we were done with the beach, we headed back to the hotel.  We got some lunch and since it was our last night at the beach, we decided that we would have lobster and butterfish for dinner. First, we went to the lobster house by ourselves just to ask for the price.  The guy gave us a good price and we told him we would return.  We went back with Pablo and got the lobsters.  We paid 600 dalasi for 2 lobsters, but the guy threw another one in, so we got 3 for 600 dalasi (around 11euros)! Then Pablo wanted to show us a river area that was close to our hotel.  The location wasn't even marked on the map, and it was so great to see.  While we were walking back to the hotel, I saw a guy who was holding a monkey the day before showing it to girls at the hotel.  I thought the guy just had the monkey to charge people for photos, but I didn't realize it was actually Pablo's friend.  I asked about the monkey and the guy invited all of us back to his house to see the monkey. Oh, my goodness! The monkey was so cute.  His name is Chiko.  At first, he was a bit shy and scared of us and only wanted to stay with his mom.  Pablo found him one day while he was cutting some plants in his garden.  He was very small, and his mother had abandoned him.  Pablo knew that the couple already had a monkey, so he gave them the monkey he found.  They raised Chiko and he is so attached to them.  Slowly, Chiko got comfortable with me.  He was finally sitting in my lap and playing with my necklace.  I was able to get some nice pictures with him.  His mother saw how comfortable Chiko was with me, so she went swimming.  Chiko only stayed with me.  Then we had to go, and Chiko didn't want me to leave.  He kept jumping on me and I had to keep returning him to the father.  It was so heart breaking to see how much he wanted to stay with me, but I had to go.  When I was a child, I wanted to have a monkey as a pet after watching the movie Aladdin with his pet monkey Abu.  I hope that one day I'll be able to visit Chiko again. After I said goodbye to Chiko, it was time to buy items for dinner.  Pablo cooked the lobster and butterfish that we bought.  It was so cool to have dinner right on the beach with such fresh produce.  Pablo did a great job cooking and the salad he made on the side was great.  I recommend everyone to try Pablo's cooking if you are ever in Sanyang!  Thanks for the great meal! It was an awesome way to finish our time in Sanyang. 

nicely painted boat


vulture flying away from a carcass





why was this squid on a wall??

following locals
                                                              African snail........they are HUGE!



man trying to catch some fish in a net


only cows on the beach with us
                                                                          The Gambia  10,255

so many squid!
                                                                        boat being made
                                                                                lunch
                                                                            fish and cucumbers
riverside
Caravan taking a dip

                                                                    giant claw on the crab

                                                                            mangrove

                                                                accommodation made by locals

CHIKO!!
drinking milk


                                                  


                                                    he kept following me while I was leaving
Chiko didn't want me to leave  :(




our last sunset in Sanyang
                                                                            LOBSTERS!!!
                                                                            time to cook!
                                                                        marinating the butterfish
preparations
                                                                    cutting them up
    dinner time!!
                                                                            yummy!
the fish!
                                                       ready to eat our meal made by Pablo!
 cows had to join us for dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment