Translate

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Sicily Day 1

Last year on Cyber Monday, I found a great deal for airline tickets to Sicily from Prague.  The tickets were less than $100 for 2 round trip tickets.  I had to get them.  While looking for accommodation, I realized that I had credit on Booking.com from the last bookings I made over the summer.  I found an accommodation that had great ratings and was close to the center and the airport.  I made the reservation and paid less than $100 for 3 nights.  We had a private room with private bathroom and balcony.  When we landed in Catania, all we had to do was hop on a bus and walk less than 10 minutes.  Once situated with our belongings it was a 5 minute walk to the center.  I couldn't believe our luck.  There were so many beautiful umbrellas hung all over the city. The colors brightened the city. The night before we left I did a bit of homework and watched some YouTube videos on Catania. I bookmarked some restaurants and took notes of food I wanted to try on our trip.  We made our way for a late lunch to an area near the fish market.  All the dishes we got were great, but the best was the arancini with squid ink.  After lunch we walked around and found a place to get some sweets. I had to get almond and pistachio granita with a brioche, plus a cannoli.  Granita and cannoli were first made in Sicily! Everything was delicious!  I'm so glad I did my research the night before because it was really a great day of food!  We went back to the accommodation for a quick nap and then walked around the city to see the lights.  It was a great first day in Sicily!



                                                 if you look closely you can see Mt. Vesuvius
                                                                            Mt. Etna
                                                                      its still quite active!
                                                                      arriving to Catania








                                                      the elephant is made from volcanic rock from Etna









                                                        chickpea fritters









                                                        almond and pistachio granita and brioche































No comments:

Post a Comment