Translate

Thursday, January 12, 2017

El Jem and Mediah Tunisia

One of the couch surfers I met highly recommended me to check out El Jem.  I am so happy that he did, because it was AMAZING!!!!!  Before going to Tunisia, I had no idea that there was a colosseum.  It was so impressive!!! The Romans built it 2000 years ago and the sheer size of it was breathtaking.  I took so many pictures of it but none of the photos can really compare to what it really looked like in person.  I felt so tiny compared to the massive structure.  I was lucky enough to go there with another couch surfer and the funny thing is that she had never been there before despite living only 1.5 hours away from it!!  She thanked me for taking her with me, haha!!  I really appreciated the fact that she went with me because I can't speak Arabic or French, so it would've been a difficult for me to get around by myself.  Afterwards we went to Mediah, a city by the sea.  We were hungry so we asked the taxi driver for a suggestion.  He dropped us off at a restaurant by the sea.  It was a local place and it was completely full.  We had to share a table with some other people.  We were able to get 2 soups with bread and spreads, a plate of couscous, a plate of beans with a spicy pepper, my dish that consisted of grilled turkey breast, fries and salad, plus my friend's dish of sausages, fries and salad for just 10 dinars.  Thats about $4.35!!! It was delicious and super cheap!!!  Then we walked around the city and a man at a souvenir shop gave me a Tunisian flag for free.  After that we went back to Sousse and my new friend invited me to her place so I could have another home cooked meal.  It was very good and I am thankful that I got to have another home cooked meal instead of just eating dinners at the hotel.

the colosseum at El Jem

massive 

blue skies

had to get a panorama to try to get the whole thing!

impressive

Tunisia 7857

i felt so tiny compared to the massive structure

2000 years old!

underneath 

where the gladiators waited

higher view

so many levels

arches 

view of the city in the background 

such high ceilings

levels 

ground level

the front

had to get another panorama 

mosque in front of the colosseum 

the blue structure on the left was the delicious restaurant 

nice colors 

with my free Tunisian flag

Tunisia 

Tunisia 7859

delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment