Translate

Friday, January 13, 2017

Kairouan and Nabuel Tunisia

I was also recommended by a lot of people to go to Kairouan.  The first mosque in Africa was built in the city.  I was lucky enough to have a couch surfer go with me to the city.  Unfortunately, the people inside wanted me to pay to go into the mosque.  I thought that was ridiculous because I had been to many mosques and never had to pay.  My friend also thought it was ridiculous because he had been there before with other foreigners and they didn't have to pay.  So, I decided to pass on the mosque and we just walked around the city.  The city was quite beautiful and the colors of the streets were nice.  We even got to see a place where a camel brings up water from a very old well.  It was a short trip to the city, but it was nice.  The next day I went to Nabuel.  I only became interested in this place because the person who invited me for dinner with his family said that he would take me to that city.  Well, that never happened, so I decided to go with someone else.  The city is well known for its ceramics.  I bought a small drum for less than a dollar and I ended up buying a liter of rose essence. After Nabuel, we checked out Hammamet.  It was definitely a hotel and amusement park city.  At the end of the day I went to my friend's house for another great home cooked meal.  Overall, my trip to Tunisia was an amazing trip!  I was so lucky to meet a lot of really nice locals who took time out of their days to show me around and let me experience local home cooked food.  I only went to Tunisia because I found a really good deal and in the end I am so very happy that I went because it was definitely so much more than I thought it would be.  Thanks to everyone who I met!

next to the first mosque in Africa

couldn't go into the mosque without paying

arches

cool door

way to make clothes the traditional way

nice views

empty courtyard

camel used to get water from the well

Tunisia  7862

apparently Nabuel is known for oranges

but it is very well known for its ceramics

nice door

Tunisia

people playing music in the streets

a type of horn

scary looking props that were gonna be used for a parade

Tunisia  7864

No comments:

Post a Comment