Translate

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Mitama Matsuri at Yasukuni Shrine

I was looking at stuff to do and I came across an article talking about the Mitama Matsuri at Yasukuni Shrine.  It mentioned that it has 30,000 lanterns on display.  I knew it would be great for photos, so I had to go.  Plus it was only a 30 minute walk from work.  Since the festival started on Thursday and was going till Sunday, I figured it would be best to go to Thursday.  I made a couchsurfing hangout and 7 other people decided to join me.  I am happy that I went because it was beautiful.  There were some people playing local instruments as well which was pretty cool.  The drums were amazing.  The performers were playing with such strength that you could feel the rhythm throughout your whole body.  It was amazing. 

entering the shrine area
Philippines/USA  8249
in front of a statue
an impressive size tori
name of the festival in japanese
so many lanterns
reminded me a bit of the decorations I saw last week for tanabata
Mexico  8250
one performing area
more lanterns
different style
what an entrance
playing traditional music
shamisen
the stage
singing
taiko
lanterns people designed
the big shrine
another cool design
Philippines
other lanterns
not sure what it was
more lanterns
the sky was beautiful
Argentina
England
too bad i couldnt see that well, but the drum performance here was amazing
lanterns lit
Philippines
then there were cheerleaders with pom poms........
we lost half the group
people doing some martial arts
lanterns, so many lanterns
what a wonderful sight
memorizing
everywhere
everyone's back together
China/USA  8255
people dancing along with the performers
leaving

No comments:

Post a Comment