Translate

Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Astana, Kazakhstan

I have been wanting to go to Central Asia for a while now, I just didn't want to spend too much on an airline ticket.  I did a lot of research and finally found a low cost airline that flew from Budapest, Hungary to Astana, Kazakhstan.  My roundtrip ticket without bags (just one small carry on) was just $160.   I decided that it was finally time to go.  Luckily one of my friends (I met in Japan several years ago) was actually working in Astana.  She was kind enough to let me sleep at her place while I was in Astana.  She even met me at the airport!! That was really kind of her.  Unfortunately, she had to work the days that I was visiting so I met with a couchsurfer and he showed me around the city.  We walked a LOT!!!  The city had so many modern buildings and it shocked me to see how different it looked to what I imaged it would be. One thing that is noteworthy about the city.......it is the second coldest capital city in the world. It can get down to -50C in winter.  No thank you!!! After spending two full days in the city,  I took the overnight train from Astana to Almaty ($30).  In my carriage was a woman and her 3 children. The train was so much nicer than I expected!!  I even got a cup of tea in the train restaurant for less than $1.50. 

inside one of the mosques
the outside
smiley Kazakhstan
minions!
so many ATMS!! 18!!!
bayterek tower in the distance
biggest tent in the world  (its a shopping mall)
TOKYO!
interesting art
of course I had to take a picture with CZ
Kazakhstan 9542
the Expo center in 2017
inside the university
I am worthy to pick up Thor's hammer!
USA
biggest mosque in Central Asia
inside the mosque
pyramid!
my tea on the train
the family that was in my carriage
Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan  9545

No comments:

Post a Comment