Translate

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Biking around.......about 50kms or more!!! Marienburg, Suriname

I decided to rent a bike (30 srd, 250 srd deposit) in the city so that I could ride around the plantations.  It took me 7km to get to the point where I needed to cross the river.  Since there weren't any others wanting to cross the river, I had to pay for a private boat (25 srd).  Once I crossed the river I was surrounded by green. It was completely different that the city side. It was so beautiful and peaceful.  I saw the former plantation at Marienburg and when I got closer to the plantation I saw someone waving me to come towards them.  It was a group of people and they were already starting a tour of the plantation and said that I could join them.  It was a nice group of people from Netherlands and Suriname.  The guide, Jessi, was of Javanese decent.  He was very passionate about the plantation and his family from years and years ago (~200yrs)  used to work at the sugar plantation. After the tour he sold some jewelry that he made.  I bought a leather bracelet and wooden necklace from him.  Then we biked together in the fields and he showed me a really old house that his grandfather used to live in (100+yrs).  Then we parted ways and I biked until the next city.  I stopped by the river and had lunch. Then I biked back.  However, I wanted to take a different route so I took a much longer way in order to see different things.  While I was biking, I saw a man picking mangoes from a tree and I asked if I could have one.  He said yes, so I stopped right away and almost got in an accident with the road because I was so excited.  Then I went to Neiw Amsterdam to go to the open air museum.  It was quite large and it was really nice to walk around.  Then I continued along the road until I saw the bridge that went over the river to get back to the city.  I just started laughing!! I got off my bike and looked at this crazy bridge.  I have never seen such a steep bridge.  There was no way I would be able to cross the bridge myself.  I decided that I  was going to hitch hike with a truck.  The first truck I asked said yes, so I was good to go. As we went over the bridge I was just amazed on how steep it actually was. After the bridge they dropped me off and then I biked back to the city and then to my friend's house. It was definitely a great day for exercise and views!


biked 7km to the departure point

paid 25 srd for a private boat because no one else was crossing at the time

view from the river

beautiful green along the road

a mosque

palm trees everywhere

photo while biking

lil church

i think someone was still living in the house

nice sights

WAKE UP AND LIVE!!!

I was biking around and got called over by a group

sugar plantation

old equipment

inside

apparently a 3m snake lives inside the building

Netherlands

Netherlands

Netherlands

Netherlands

Suriname

Suriname

Suriname (Jessi)   7107

Jessi's family's old house (over 100 years old)

nice roads

holy cow!

i should've riden a bike like this

inside the open air museum

what a plantation house looked like

nice bench

how the weighed the slaves

leatherback turtle

old ship wreck.....i almost wanted to cross the bridge, but it was too dodgy

what huts looked like

i was given this mango by a man who was picking mangoes while i biked past him
IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!

sugar, coffee,cotton

years when slavery was abolished in each of the guyanas

a bridge i was NOT going to bike up, so i hitch hiked

so hot and red

view from the bridge

such a STEEP bridge, never seen anything like it!!!

1 comment: