Translate

Monday, January 25, 2016

Nieuw Nickerie, Suriname

I met my friend's sister at her birthday party in Paramaribo.  Since my trip from Georgetown, Guyana to Paramaribo, Suriname was long and exhausting, I decided that on my way back I was going to break up the trip and not go directly.  I went from Paramaribo to Nieuw Nickerie.  The ride was about 4 hours.  And I was able to stay at my friend's sister's house.  I met her children and made candy for them.  The next morning before my taxi share came to pick me up, I walked to the market and checked it out.  After I got back 2 policemen asked me if I heard anything the night before because the business across the street was broken into.  I only heard the dog barking the night before, but I really couldn't help them out.  Then my taxi share came.  As soon as I opened the door to get in a man asked if I knew how to take care of babies.  I said yes and they said good.  I was a bit confused.  I put my bag in the car and then suddenly a baby was handed to me.  The baby was crying like crazy and of course was crying even more because now it was in the hands of a stranger.  I cuddled it and was able to calm him down.  Then the father turned around and the baby started crying again.  I told him not to turn around.  Finally the baby was fine and I was babysitter for the duration of the ride.  They joked around and asked me if I wanted to take the baby with me to Guyana :/.    I said no.  When we got to the ferry terminal and I had to pay my share I asked for a discount because I took care of the baby.  They gave me one and I was on my way. I went to the duty free and I was able to get 2 bottles of Amarula for only $15.  What a steal! Then I got onto the ferry.  Normally the ferry takes only 30minutes to cross the river, but only one engine was working so it took more than an hour.  It felt like the slowest ferry in the entire world!!   But I was back in Guyana so everything was good!

Suriname

Suriname  7180

riverfront

crazy catfish

blobs 

mangos 

chicks for sale

waterlilies 

the market

song birds men take for walks

river

house i stayed at

Tiger!

my baby from suriname

Suriname

my baby

Suriname

Suriname

Suriname

empty ferry

Guyana   7185

2 for $15!!!

Guyana in the distance! took forever!! 

Guyana/Suriname 

No comments:

Post a Comment