Translate

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Saturday Market and Touloulou

In the morning my friends and I needed to buy some accessories for our touloulou outfits.  After that we went to the fruit  and vegetable market.  Once done with our shopping we got some delicious lunch.  Then we went to a different beach for a walk.  At night is when the fun began.  We had to dress from head to toe and make sure that not an inch of our skin was showing.  Everything and I mean EVERYTHING had to be covered!  In French Guyane the temperature is quite hot and humid.  With these outfits on, it was SOOOO incredibly hot!  After we got dressed it was time to go to the club.  It was so interesting to see that all the women were dressed up.  The men had to dress normally.   The women made the rules.  The women chose the man she wanted to dance with and the man couldn't say no.  If the woman wanted a drink, the man would have to buy one for her.  Since I dressed up with my friends it was very easy to spot them.  It was a very fun and interesting night.  I am so glad that I got to partake in this very interesting cultural experience that only happens in Guyane during Carnaval.  I would really like to thank my friend for letting me borrow a dress for the event and convincing me to stay for it.  What a great and fun experience!!!

masks

more masks

in the market....no idea what this is

shopping

pumpkins 

much more expensive than in Chile

bananas

amazing food stall in the market

sooooo good!

another beach

i loved the reflections 

in the mangroves 

getting a coconut 

sooo cute!

France   7169

ladies in red 

before the masks

ahhhh!

ready for the party

blurry

all the women were covered (wish i took more pictures!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment