Translate

Friday, January 1, 2016

Old Years Day

We had to wake up really early because we had plans to go to the fish market.  We left before 6am and made our way to the fish market.  It was so interesting to see the market and see the boats up close.  The fish that were sold at the market were very different to the ones that I have caught in California or have seen in Japan and South Korea.  After the fish market we went to the fruit and vegetable market.  Then we tried a dish called pepper pot that everyone eats during Christmas time.  It was savory and delicious.  Then I went into town to get my visa for Suriname.  At the Suriname embassy I met up with the girl who sat next to me on the airplane.  When I sat next to her on the airplane I was too tired to ask for her photo, so it was perfect that I ran into her and her friends.  After the embassy I went back to the house and we cooked a traditional dish full of yuca, sweet potato, edo, yams, plantain and coconut milk.  It was delicious. Then we hung out and relaxed until we had to leave for the fireworks.  We went to the waterfront to watch the fireworks and then suddenly the fireworks started.  We were SOOOOOO close to where they set off the fireworks.  I have never been so close to the really big fireworks.  Stuff from the fireworks fell in my hair.  It was such an adrenaline rush.  It was a wonderful way to start of the new year with a BIG BANG!  Happy New Years!!! I hope everyone has a healthy and happy 2016!!!!!!!

georgetown fish market

fish fish fish

looked just like a blob

the boats

more boats

barrels of fish

selling straight from the trucks

catfish

getting them de-scaled and gutted 

Guyana

stalls not open yet

veggies

edo root

Guyana  7050

Guyana

pepper pot

USA

USA

USA

USA

Slovenia

USA

USA

USA

USA  7060

USA

vegetable dish with boiled bread

lets eat lunch!

Belize

Belize  7063

fireworks with NO zoom

so close

Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment