Translate

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Danco Island/ Enterprise Island

The first excursion of the day was to Danco Island.  This was the first time while in Antarctica where we were able to experience EVERYTHING in white.  The visibility was almost non existant at the top of the hill we hiked up.  With it snowing and so much fresh powder around, I decided to make a snow penguin.  I needed an authentic thing from Antarctica wearing my glasses, so why not a snow penguin.  I also had a mini snow fight.  Unfortunately only one other person participated.  On my way back down the hill, I spotted some discarded penguin shells, so I returned to my snow penguin to make an adjustment.  The hill was quite steep, so instead of walking down, I slid down the hill.  It was a lot of fun.  Then I got on a zodiac and we did a cruise around the island.  It was stunning.  There were so many humpback whales all over the place.  Unfortunately it was snowing and quite windy so it was really cold.  Everyones fingers were freezing while trying to take photos of the whales.  It truly felt like we were in Antarctica on Danco Island.  We returned to the ship for lunch and then the sun came out.  It was hot (for Antarctica) and blue skies.  The water was so calm and it seemed like we were on a lake.  The zodiac ride was wonderful.  We went to a location where there was a shipwreck.  I wanted to get some good photos with my underwater camera, but unfotunately the water wasn´t sooo clear and it was too cold for me to keep my hand underwater.  And to end our last day of excursions they had a chocolate extravaganza on the ship for dessert.  Everything was delicious!!!  It was a wonderful way to end our exciting day.

fellow passenger helping me with my snow penguin

Antarctica

improvements with the beak

Canada

last zodiac cruise

ship wreck

bit of underwater

pieces of the wreckage

another boat was tied onto it

i wish the water had better visibility

USA

USA

Nicaragua

Romania  5657

perfect way to end the day

No comments:

Post a Comment