Translate

Monday, September 16, 2019

Niš, Serbia Day 3

When I went to the Skull Tower the day before, the lady selling the entrance ticket told me that I could get a combined ticket for 3 different sights.  The last place to check out with my combined ticket was the Red Cross Concentration Camp.  She advised to give myself plenty of time to look at all the information.  So, on the last day before my flight I decided to check it out.  While walking there, I came across a beautiful church and I had to look inside.  Then I finally got to the concentration camp. The lady checking the tickets was very nice and gave me a lot of information.  It was named after the Red Cross facility that was close by.  It was intended to just be a transit camp, but then they turned it into a concentration camp.  It was crazy to read all the information and to be in the same place that caused so much pain and destruction.  There was a break out and over 100 inmates were able to escape, however some people died trying to escape as well.  It was a heart breaking place to be, but it is important to learn about the past (which was not even that long ago).  After the visit I went to a park to clear my mind.  It was my last day in the Balkans and I had to go back home.  Overall my trip through the Balkans was great and I met so many great people. I'm sure that I will go back one day!

found a random church while walking
old painting
even older
looking up
nice paintings
reminded me of a lighthouse
random covering for ruins I came across while walking
inside
concentration camp
monument
entrance
the grounds
set up
historical stuff
looks like scratch marks??
over 100 people were able to escape the camp
in the stairwell
going to the top floor stairwell
top floor
people were in solitary confinement
walking out
the standing structure is a peacock
last time to enjoy this view
one of the smallest airports I have ever been to
night flight back to Vienna

No comments:

Post a Comment